Wiley Rein’s Professional Liability Practice is nationally recognized as one of the pre-eminent practices in the professional liability field. We regularly represent professional liability insurers in litigation and non-litigation matters that raise complex coverage issues and require rigorous analysis of the underlying merits. The Legal 500 US praises the Group for its “unparalleled depth of knowledge regarding D&O coverage issues” (2012). We assist our clients by providing timely, effective claim resolution strategies that properly take into account merits, damages, and coverage related defenses. Our experienced litigators protect our clients’ rights and achieve superior results through coverage litigation at both the trial and appellate levels. The Professional Liability Practice also has developed particular expertise in the intersection of bankruptcy and insurance issues. We also provide underwriting assistance by helping our clients with drafting and product design tailored to address their specific needs and concerns.
Our representation of professional liability carriers encompasses a number of areas, including:
- Directors and officers liability policies issued to Fortune 500 corporations as well as to smaller and privately held companies;
- Professional liability policies that insure investment advisors, mutual funds, and hedge funds;
- Financial institution professional liability policies that insure banks;
- Lawyers and accountants liability policies;
- Fiduciary liability policies;
- Insurance company errors and omissions (E&O) policies;
- Media and technology professional liability; and
- Cyber risk insurance.
Members of our Group are active in key industry associations, both in leadership roles and as members, and frequently speak and publish on cutting-edge professional liability issues. In addition, the Group authors Executive Summary, our monthly newsletter that reviews recent cases in the professional liability coverage area for our clients’ benefit.